[Nix-dev] More news about the nix-env crash

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Jan 19 22:58:17 CET 2012

Hi Eelco,

 > Unfortunately I can't reproduce this.

the trick seems to be to install a package into a profile that uses
texLive in its aggregated form, say eukleides with the override

  eukleides = pkgs.eukleides.override {
    texLive = pkgs.texLiveFull;
  };

configured, and then to run "nix-env -u \* --always" on that profile.
The first time I install it, it works fine, but subsequent updates
always end up segfaulting.

 > Could you try building Nix without a garbage collector to see if
 > that's the cause? Just add "boehmgc = null;" to the nixUnstable call
 > in all-packages.nix.

I tried, but without the Boehm GC the configure script won't succeed:

  checking for BDW_GC... configure: error: Package requirements (bdw-gc) were not met:
  No package 'bdw-gc' found

Take care,
Peter