[Nix-dev] Updating emacs-snapshot package

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Jan 18 21:37:20 CET 2012

Excerpts from Phil Hagelberg's message of Wed Jan 18 01:22:01 +0100 2012:
> Is it just discouraged to package prerelease versions of software in
> general? If it's merely a question of stability then it shouldn't be a
> problem; the Emacs 24 pretest is very stable.
Think about it as 'continuous integration'. Packaging pre-release
versions will make us aware of potential problems early which is always
good. Whether they should be default is another question. Even gentoo
has many -9999 builds which check out source from version control
system.

However I'm against too much noise (eg updating the same package once a
day). This could be solved by providing overlays (separate repositories)

Marc Weber