[Nix-dev] Updating emacs-snapshot package

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Wed Jan 18 01:30:25 CET 2012

On 1/17/12 7:22 PM, Phil Hagelberg wrote:
> Is it just discouraged to package prerelease versions of software in
> general? If it's merely a question of stability then it shouldn't be a
> problem; the Emacs 24 pretest is very stable.

I don't set the policies, but my thought would be: If there's a
significant reason (new feature, important bug fixes, vastly improved
performance, etc.) that all users of the package might benefit from a
prerelease, then package it, otherwise wait for the official release.
I'm not an emacs user, so I don't know what's different in the
prerelease version, but if there's a good reason I or someone else can
update the snapshot version in nixpkgs.

Unless there's a straightforward way to add "the latest successful build
produced by this hydra server for that job within that jobset" to
nixpkgs, then that would probably be preferable. But from my
understanding of how nix and hydra work, that's not really feasible.

~Shea