[Nix-dev] fonts: subpixel rendering

Sergey Mironov ierton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 22:14:36 CET 2012

2012/1/17 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric at viric.name>:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:12:09PM +0400, Sergey Mironov wrote:
>> Hello. Has anybody tried to enable subpixel hinting in fontconfig?
>>
>> Looks like placing
>>
>>       <match target="font">
>>               <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
>>                       <const>rgb</const>
>>               </edit>
>>       </match>
>>
>> in my .fonts.conf has no effect..
>
> freetype implements that. Notice that it is disabled by default in the freetype
> expression. I discovered this only recently. Eelco claims that it did not look
> good on screen (iirc).
>
> I still have not tried to enable it, but I wanted to try. The most I did was
> trying the same you tried, with the same success.
>
> Regards,
> Lluís.

Damn right. I've missed the default 'false' at the top of the file.
And setting it to true will probably trigger all-the-x rebuilding,
including chrome. It takes about 2 days on my netbook (I used gentoo
before) so I don't want to test it right now.

So.. may I kindly ask to enable this option in nix and disable hinting
in the global fonts.conf by default?