[Nix-dev] SVN commit: nix - r31502 - in nixos/trunk/modules: . hardware

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Jan 12 18:40:16 CET 2012

Hi Arie,

 > +    hardware.enableFirmwareLinuxFree = pkgs.lib.mkOption {
 > +      default = false;
 > +      type = pkgs.lib.types.bool;
 > +      description = ''
 > +        Turn on this option if you want the set of firmware of the linux-firmware-free package.
 > +      '';
 > +    };

most people (including myself) won't know what kind of drivers the
"linux-firmware-free package" contains, and hence they won't know
whether to turn on this option or not. Could you please provide a
slightly more detailed description?

Also, I'm used to placing firmware that I want installed into the
hardware.firmware option, like this:

  hardware.firmware = [ pkgs.firmwareLinuxNonfree ];

Now, it seems that this is all your module does, right? Is it worth
having a module for that purpose in the first place?

Take care,
Peter