[Nix-dev] Updating emacs-snapshot package

Phil Hagelberg technomancy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 04:12:32 CET 2012

Hi; I'm trying to update the emacs-snapshot package to a more recent
pretest of version 24.

At first I tried simply updating the URL of the tarball, but that
resulted in "impure path `/usr/lib64/crt1.o' used in link" when I
tested it with nix-build. I did some digging and found out that this
problem had been encountered earlier in the emacs23 package, and that
it had been fixed in r16591. That change added lines like this to builder.sh:

     for i in src/s/*.h src/m/*.h; do
         substituteInPlace $i \
            --replace /usr/${glibclibdir}/crt1.o $libc/${glibclibdir}/crt1.o \
            --replace /usr/${glibclibdir}/crti.o $libc/${glibclibdir}/crti.o \
            --replace /usr/${glibclibdir}/crtn.o $libc/${glibclibdir}/crtn.o \
            --replace /usr/lib/crt1.o $libc/${glibclibdir}/crt1.o \
            --replace /usr/lib/crti.o $libc/${glibclibdir}/crti.o \
            --replace /usr/lib/crtn.o $libc/${glibclibdir}/crtn.o
     done

So I took the builder.sh from emacs23 and copied it over to emacs-snapshot.
However, the problem persists. I don't know enough about make or gcc
to diagnose further, though I suppose my guess would be that the list
of files substituted in the for loop needs to be expanded.

I've attached both my patch and the last few lines of output from the
nix-build invocation.

thanks!
Phil