[Nix-dev] wicd managing wireless network

roconnor at theorem.ca roconnor at theorem.ca
Thu Jan 5 17:41:45 CET 2012

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Alexander Foremny wrote:

> It is true that you have to reconfigure your system every time you add a *new* wireless network you want to connect to, specifically you have to reconfigure every time
> you change /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and want to make the changes active. However, once configured wpa_supplicant will take care of getting you connected automagically.
>
> It is really much less painful as I think you are assuming.
>
> I set up a preliminary Wiki page to help getting you and other users started.
>
> https://nixos.org/wiki/Wireless_networking

Why isn't wpa_supplicant.conf managed by NixOS?  If I need to restart
networking services when wpa_supplicant.conf changes, then the
configuration file ought to be managed by NixOS.

Your tutorial doesn't talk about how to scan for wireless networks to find
the SSID that you want.

All in all, your tutorial has convinced me that using wpa_supplicant is as
painful as I was assuming.