[Nix-dev] Persistent System State (Was: Disaster recovery / re-deployment) (fwd)

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Thu Jan 5 14:04:12 CET 2012

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 16:36:40 -0500 (EST), roconnor at theorem.ca wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> >
> > Hi Rickard,

> >> Thanks! I will start out from that and see where I end up.
> >
> > did you made progress with that? For a full backup there might be more
> > files needed, e.g.:
> > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
> > /etc/passwd
> > /etc/shadow
> > /etc/group
> > /var/lib/wicd/*
>
> I wonder if we could start moving towards putting all system persistant state
> into /var/lib so that is the only thing that needs to be backed up.

I like the idea of centralizing system state a lot. I'm not sure whether
/var/lib is the right place. Also depending on services running there
are spool dirs that need backup, the imap mail store, log files - mostly
all of /var I guess.

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC