[Nix-dev] ~/bin in PATH if exists

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Jan 3 20:28:12 CET 2012

Hi Eelco,

 > Indeed. I disagree with the removal of ~/bin from $PATH. It's useful,
 > it's been there for a long time, many other distributions do it as
 > well, and there doesn't seem to be a pressing reason to remove it.

the pressing reason is that I do not want ~/bin in $PATH on my system.
Now, I could iterate over $PATH and filter that particular entry in my
~/.bashrc or something, but that is not a particularly good solution.
Why would I want to have that thing added to PATH globally so that I can
remove it locally instead of NOT adding it globally so that people who
want it can add it locally?

The comparison with Debian or other distributions is unfair, IMHO,
because in these distributions I can edit the installed /etc/profile
file to get the behavior I want. That is impossible in Nix, though,
because that file is generated, so the only way for me to get the
behavior I want is by editing the files that generate /etc/profile --
which is what I did.

If I may ask, why do you want to configure user-specific files in a
global file instead of a user-specific one?

Take care,
Peter