[Nix-dev] Android SDK

Alexander Foremny alexanderforemny at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 12:06:46 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am currently trying to install the Android SDK in NixOS. I set up a
stub article [1] on the NixOS wiki describing my admittedly little
effort so far. I am currently trying to install the Android SDK
manually which is straight forward except that the GUI is not working
and the SDK's command line interface is not equally well documented.

However, I'd like to create a Nix expression for the Android SDK.
After installation of the SDK you need to install targets for your
development. Those are listed by

$ android sdk list

which gives a list of installation targets labeled by numbers. You can
install those targets by specifying these numbers in the filter
argument of the following command.

$ android update sdk --filter FILTER

While this would translate to the build process of a Nix expression
easily I am not quite sure how I can

1) translate qualified names of installation targets to the numeric
labels. Would it be sufficient to grep for them?
2) ensure that those installation targets only change iff the
qualified name changes. Is this guaranteed by Android's guidelines or
would it be possible to guarantee this by hashes? How could this be
done?
3) make the Nix expression optionally depend on different sources.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Regards,
Alexander Foremny

[1] http://nixos.org/wiki/Android_SDK