[Nix-dev] log checker

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Fri Aug 24 09:54:48 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Lluís Batlle i Rossell
<viric at viric.name> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 07:57:38AM +0200, Mathijs Kwik wrote:
>> I'm looking for a package to monitor system logs for abnormalities
>> (hardware issues, attacks, daemon notices) and sends out emails about
>> these (immediately, or digested once a day, depending on the perceived
>> importance of the log message).
>>
>> I've used "logcheck" in the past on debian, but I couldn't find that in nixpkgs.
>> Before I dive into packaging that, I would like to know what others
>> use for this purpose.
>
> I even did not know about this kind of software. :)

Well it's quite simple actually. It's just a bunch of regexps that tag
log-lines as important / urgent / whatever.
And a cron job that greps these lines and decides when to mail them.
It's actually quite handy, as logs tend to become large, so reading
them dutifully every day isn't a real option.
Having them digested daily, grouped per kind of incident makes it a
1-minute task to skim through.