[Nix-dev] store & passwords - once again

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 21:29:59 CEST 2012

Hi.

On 07/26/2012 03:13 PM, Marc Weber wrote:
> I'd even propose a second change:
>
> builtins.__writeArbitraryFile "/root/directory" "text-contents"
>
> Should use a hash function to create a filename and return that based on
> "text-contents". This way new contents will
> yield a different path. Then you can rollback more easily, and
> everything feels little more functional (don't write a file twice if it
> exists - contents should be the same)

Isn't that essentially the private-file approach, only stored outside
the nix store?

I understand it will be more work than just adding the primop, if you
hurry now... but in the long run, adding support private files or
derivations seems a much clearer way.

And what about a catch-all builtins.unsafePerformCommand :-D (Haskell-like)

Vlada