[Nix-dev] grub no longer works with LVM

James Cook jcook at cs.berkeley.edu
Sat Aug 4 20:12:14 CEST 2012

Hi nix-dev,

I recently tried to update to the latest from hydra with
  nix-channel --update
  nixos-rebuild boot
but the latter finished by saying

updating GRUB 2 menu...
installing the GRUB 2 boot loader on /dev/sdb...
Path `/boot/grub' is not readable by GRUB on boot. Installation is
impossible. Aborting.
/nix/store/16sq20had0hpfs99s0878vb014r10nll-install-grub.pl:
installation of GRUB on /dev/sdb failed

After I restarted, GRUB was indeed not able to read /boot, and I got a
rescue shell*.

/boot is on my root LVM volume.  This configuration worked until now;
I think the last time I updated was a few weeks ago.  Any ideas what
might have changed?  configuration.nix attached.

Thanks,
  James

*I got around it in the end.  If anyone else has the problem, I worked
around it by:
- booting into a different Linux installation and manually copying
NixOS's /boot to a non-LVM partition
- rebooting choosing a different disk which still had a working grub,
telling that grub to load NixOS's grub.cfg (which brought up NixOS's
grub meny) and then editing NixOS's default menu item to add root
(hd1,1) (my new boot)