[Nix-dev] gcc for MacOS X

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net
Wed Apr 25 12:20:08 CEST 2012

Ludovic Courtès writes:

 > > It's difficult not to have anything in /usr/local, since Nix installs
 > > itself there as well. But I did remove GMP plus some stuff that depended on
 > > it (gpmc, mpfr), and now gcc46 compiles to the end, in just a few hours.
 >
 > Good!

One more question about gcc: is there a way to use it for anything else than
building derivations inside of the Nix universe?

I installed gcc46 in my profile, but I can't do much with it:

> ~/.nix-profile/bin/gcc hello.c -o hello
hello.c:1:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

I suspect that the builder scripts in Nixpkgs get all the required settings
from $stdenv/setup, but when I run setup in my terminal shell it only
produces endless error messages.

I can of course specify /usr/include explicitly:

  ~/.nix-profile/bin/gcc -I/usr/include -L/usr/include hello.c -o hello

but then I am using Apple's libraries. I would like to compile using the
same libraries that are used when building Nix derivations, in order to develop
programs for later packaging with Nix.

Konrad.