[Nix-dev] NixOS network filesystems mounting

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 02:39:13 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 05:02, Rickard Nilsson
<rickard.nilsson at telia.com> wrote:
> What all this boils down to, is that I think the way NixOS mounts network
> filesystems is a bit messy. It first tries to mount all filesystems, and
> then when it get an ip-up event, it makes a new attempt which should cause
> network filesystems to be mounted. However, wouldn't it be better to
> separate local and network filesystems into two different stages? After
> udev, mount all local paths. After ip-up, start the NFS daemons and mount
> all remote paths. What do you think? I will try to experiment with this
> and see how it works out. If it fails, I must at least find a way to not
> start idmapd until ip-up.

The problem I see is that we don't have strong dependencies for task /
services and upstart, or our usage of upstart does not provide a good
solution.  You can try and hope that this would not damage anybody
else systems but this sounds like a dead-cause to me unless we can
rely systemd like resources / services management.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/