[Nix-dev] gcc for MacOS X

Ludovic Courtès ludovic.courtes at inria.fr
Tue Apr 17 14:25:18 CEST 2012

Hi Konrad,

It turns out that getting GCC 4.6 to build on Darwin wasn’t so
difficult.  The patch below fixes that, by adding lipo(1) to stdenv.
However, since it modifies stdenv, it entails a full rebuild.

Would it be a problem for you?  What do others think?

If it’s a problem, we can still patch GCC directly in ‘trunk’ (similar
to what’s done for Valgrind), and apply the patch below only in
‘stdenv-updates’.

Besides, having a working GCC on MacOS X raises the question of whether
its stdenv should be use it in lieu of Apple’s GCC 4.2 (which is old,
buggy, and no longer maintained.)  I’m inclined to stick to Apple’s GCC
for now, because it’s good for portability testing.  But we could still
switch in the future.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.