[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r33565 - release/trunk/channels

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 20:38:40 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 08:06, Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 04/04/12 16:55, Shea Levy wrote:
>
>>>    The downside is that it can take longer for the channel to catch up
>>>    with the Nixpkgs repository.  But that's only a problem for people
>>>    who build from the Nixpkgs repository.
>>
>> Isn't this all NixOS users? Or are we going to move toward nixos-checkout using
>> the nixpkgs channel as well?
>
> Yes, except that I want to have a NixOS channel that contains Nixpkgs as a
> subset, based on this NixOS Hydra view:
>
>  http://hydra.nixos.org/view/nixos/tested
>
> That way, you can run "nix-channel --update" to update NixOS with a reasonable
> assurance that things will still work (and that everything has already been
> precompiled).

I am not sure to understand how this change the problem of having
sources which are not-synced with the channel.  Unless you want to
modify nixos-checkout to look for revision number of the build inputs
used by the channel before updating.

Another question is, how would this impact binary diff, because if you
have one channel which correspond to one revision, and not multiple
then you cannot do a binary diff, unless the channel contains n
revisions [ R - n .. R ].

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/