[Nix-dev] Installation of evince fails

Ilja Honkonen ilja.honkonen at helsinki.fi
Sun Apr 1 10:55:56 CEST 2012

>>> Installation of evince fails currently for me with:
>> The problem is in gnome-doc-utils. It uses wrapPythonPrograms but lacks
>> pythonPath. I'll fix it tonight.
> What I did to find the source of the bug:
> - In build log, xml2po fails to load libxml2Python.
> - xml2po comes from gnome.gnome_doc_utils. Build this package
> - Open $gnome_doc_utils/bin/xml2po in editor. Look at PYTHONPATH.
> - No /nix/store/*libxml2* here. (!!)
> - Look at gnome_doc_utils_derivation, go to pythonPackages.wrapPython, read
> sources.

Thanks! Now it works, although it prints this when starting:
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings
will not be saved or shared with other applications.

A bit googling indicates that these should also be installed for
settings to be saved to disk: dconf, libdconf0, and libdconf-dbus-1-0.
Dconf doesn't seem to be in nixpkgs, its homepage is at
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/dconf/
The default config will probably have to be changed in order to support
non-root installation with nix:
https://github.com/dagwieers/dconf/blob/master/config/dconf-example.conf

Ilja