[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r30127 - in nixos/trunk/modules: config installer/cd-dvd installer/generations-dir installer/tools installer/tools/nixos-deploy-network misc security services/misc services/monito...

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Oct 30 17:31:01 CET 2011

> What happened from my perspective is that I ran nixos-rebuild, and then
> left the computer for something else. When I came back after a while,
> the system had become nearly unusable. [..]
We all agree on that being a "worse case".
So what's the true fix? Why can processes use 30GB of swap on your
machine at all? My swap is only 8GB and my RAM is 8GB as well. Should'nt
we limit RAM usage to a sensible value such as 4GB in nixos-rebuild
script to protect against this case of failure? Calling limit or such
would be the easiest thing to do ?

Seriously: If you allow 30GB of swap you should consider closing some
apps in most cases because swapping is slow.

That would fix the "annoyance" for you and everybody else. We all don't
want this to happen (especially not on servers). Until now I thought
running "nixos-rebuild build" and walk away would be safe enough
compared to "test".

Marc Weber