[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r30127 - innixos/trunk/modules: config installer/cd-dvdinstaller/generations-dir installer/toolsinstaller/tools/nixos-deploy-network misc security services/miscservices/monito...

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Sun Oct 30 16:46:14 CET 2011

>On 10/30/2011 11:19 AM, Peter Simons wrote:
>> Author: simons
>> Date: Sun Oct 30 15:19:58 2011
>> New Revision: 30127
>>
>> Log:
>> Reverting revisions 30103-30106: "always set nixpkgs.config.{state,store}Dir", etc.
>>
>> After the change from revision 30103, nixos-rebuild suddenly consumed
>> freaky amounts of memory. I had to abort the process after it had
>> allocated well in excess of 30GB(!) of RAM. I'm not sure what is causing
>> this behavior, but undoing that assignment fixes the problem. The other
>> two commits needed to be revoked, too, because they depend on 30103.
>>

>Hi Peter,
>
>In the future, can you please bring up an issue like this on the mailing
>list before just reverting another developer's work? I'm more than happy
>to work with you to get that problem resolved while getting what I need,
>but straight up removing my work without even giving me a chance to fix
>it is inappropriate.
>
>Thanks,
>Shea

"Eat 30GB" seems close enough to "broken".. Given that the earlier
revisions are trivially accessible, reverting revisions that break
trunk usability seems a reasonable thing.

It seems that for most people the evaluation result doesn't change,
so unlike stdenv-updates branch, a branch for these changes would be
cheap to merge.