[Nix-dev] nixos-rebuild memory consumption after 30103-30106

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Sun Oct 30 16:37:29 CET 2011

On 10/30/2011 11:23 AM, Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> commits 30103-30106 in Nixos cause nixos-rebuild to fail for me. The
> process ran for several minutes without discernible progress, until I
> had to abort because nix-worker/nix-instantiate consumed well in excess
> of 30GB(!) of memory.
>
> I thought that maybe the recent update to 1.0pre30070 might have
> something to do with it, but 1.0pre29200 behaves the same way.
>
> Anyway, I reverted these changes, and now everything is back to normal.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be causing phenomenon?
>
> Take care,
> Peter

Hi all,

I need those changes (and more in the pipeline) in order to build a
NixOS with a non-standard store directory. I successfully built a system
against this these revisions on a system with far less than 30 GB in
ram+swap, so I don't know that the problem was in my changes as such as
opposed to a strange interaction with Peter's system. Would anyone mind
me reverting this reversion so others can test rebuilding to see if this
issue persists?

Thanks,
Shea