[Nix-dev] About domainnames (was about /etc/hosts)

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Fri Nov 25 19:54:44 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 07:47:45PM +0100, Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi Lluís,
>
>  > Author: viric
>  > Date: Wed Nov  9 21:02:01 2011
>  > New Revision: 30362
>  >
>  > Log:
>  > Adding the hostname.domain and localhost.domain to hosts, if possible.
>
> this patch generates broken entries in /etc/hosts if networking.hostName
> is a fully qualified domain name (as it is the case on several systems I
> administrate). Would it be possible to append the domain name only if
> hostName does not contain a '.' already?

That can be done, sure. I'm not really sure how all these things are managed, so
I don't know if we should allow one thing, the other, or both.

I imagine that the 'domainname' commands and 'hostname' commands should work,
and I don't know how to test further.

Setting "networking.domain" does not make the command domainname work, in my
system.

Maybe someone can throw some light on this? What sense there is in having
hostname and domain apart in networking?

Regards,
Lluís.