[Nix-dev] some basic questions from a new NixOS user

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Nov 24 08:21:25 CET 2011

You're welcome.

> 1a. I've added a new user account with "useradd," per the manual, and

3 ways:
1) /var/run/current-system/sw/bin/ like installation by configuration.nix
2) system wide root installation ? (not sure about it)
3) user installation.

All can be rolled back. nix-env --list-generations etc (see man or do
--help).

>     environment.systemPackages = [
>         pkgs.zsh
>         pkgs.git
>         pkgs.rxvt-unicode
>     ];
Looks fine to me.

> 2. If I do "nix-env -i" as the root user, then the installation is only
> for the root user, correct?
Read /etc/bashrc carefully. The answer should be there what is added to
PATH by default. Because I use my own patched version I'm not very sure
about it. That's point 2) above.

Marc Weber