[Nix-dev] bootstrap failure

Kevin Quick quick at sparq.org
Tue Nov 22 06:33:19 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:24:18 -0700, Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru>
wrote:

>> Anyone know what might be going wrong with the nix-env invocation in the
>> bootstrap attempt below?  This was following a "bash
>> /mnt/nix/store/nixos-prepare-install checkout-sources" operation.
>>
>> +
>> /nix/store/v8yf6bzqzgfszd3v6q15f100hq6x73yl-nix-1.0pre26015/bin/nix-env
>> -p /nix/var/nix/profiles/system -f /etc/nixos/nixos --set -A system -j2
>> --keep-going
>> error: user-thrown exception: Not defined.
>> (use `--show-trace' to show detailed location information)
>
> Looks like you need to set some variables in configuration.nix.

I'm attempting a Linode installation as documented here:
http://nixos.org/wiki/Install_NixOS_on_Linode

I have:

# cat /mnt/etc/nixos/configuration.nix
{
   boot.loader.initScript.enable = true;
}
#

I had thought to supplement that, but:

# bash /mnt/nix/store/nixos-prepare-install guess-config
INFO:  /mnt/README-BOOTSTRAP-NIXOS found, assuming your're bootstrapping
 from an archive. Nix files should be in place
     To realise your NixOS installtion execute:

     run-in-chroot "/nix/store/nixos-bootstrap --install -j2 --keep-going"
#

> Without --show-trace output, it is hard to give any details..

There's no obvious way to do that:

# bash /mnt/nix/store/run-in-chroot "/nix/store/nixos-bootstrap --install
-j2 --keep-going --show-trace"
INFO:  Enable networking: copying /etc/resolv.conf
INFO:  mounting /proc /sys /dev and / to /host-system
/nix/store/nixos-bootstrap: line 8: cat: command not found
INFO:  unmounting /proc /sys /dev and removing /host-system if empty
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/host-system': Device or resource busy
#

And although /mnt/README-BOOTSTRAP-NIXOS indicates that --install in the
command above can be replaced by --help for more information, the output
is identical to the above.

--
-KQ