[Nix-dev] Cross-building configuration.nix for ARM (Sheevaplug)

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 18:24:15 CET 2011

2011/11/21 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric at viric.name>:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:50:25AM +0100, Rickard Nilsson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How should I do to cross-build my configuration.nix for the SheevaPlug? Is
>> it possible? I have read about cross-building in the wiki, but it talks
>> about cross-building individual packages. How can I cross-build a complete
>> system?
>
> We do not have that ready now. The nixos expressions are all meant for native
> building.

I dream of combining Aboriginal Linux[1] and nixos. Aboriginal
provides a minimal native build environment (gcc, make...) for a bunch
of architectures. All that's needed then is to have a (native) distro
build system that can bootstrap itself. (Nixos is the only distro I
know of that seem to care about this kind of bootstrapping.)

[1]: http://www.landley.net/aboriginal/README

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman