[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r30325 - nixos/trunk/modules/installer/tools

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Nov 10 13:29:12 CET 2011

Excerpts from ludo's message of Wed Nov 09 23:50:19 +0100 2011:
> Making it easy for newcomers is also a worthy goal though.  How about
> having a higher-level tool, say ‘nixos-kde-install’, which would do what
> nixos-hardware-scan plus add whatever options are needed for KDE?

We all want make it easier - and you've done the first step by providing
a complete running VM :)

Because the configuration system is modular you may want to consider
splitting the parts into different files:

/etc/nixos/nixos-configuration-X-gui.nix
/etc/nixos/nixos-configuration-hardware.nix

Then you can generate those individual files easily.

Users can change require such files easily and enable common
configurations that way.

However it will make it more difficult to configure everything using a
gui tool. I don't know what is best yet.

Marc Weber