[Nix-dev] [RFC] Merging of multiple-outputs-sandbox into trunk

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud.urkud at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 19:56:37 CET 2011

Shea Levy wrote:

> On 11/6/11 2:18 AM, Shea Levy wrote:
>> Author: shlevy
>> Date: Sun Nov  6 07:18:19 2011
>> New Revision: 30258
>
> Hi all (especially Eelco),
>
> With this commit, I believe the multiple-outputs-sandbox branch is ready
> for consideration to be merged into nix trunk.
Sorry, I have no time to review your implementation (too busy with my day
job). I'll share my thoughts about multiple-outputs. Feel free to ignore
this.

1. The notion of fixed-output derivation should be replaced by the notion of
fixed-output _output_. Use case: 'data' part of a package (say, game).

2. About cyclic dependencies. An output should have a way to tell nix to
ignore some dependencies. Say, $out/nix-support/ignored-dependencies. Use
case: splitting debug information from the main package (main package
explicitly tells nix that it does not depend on the debug package).

I'll try to think about it and tell you about other ideas...
--
Yury G. Kudryashov,
mailto: urkud at mccme.ru