[Nix-dev] Why Nix-0.16 so hungry on ressources (mem + cpu) ?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 17:54:14 CET 2011

I'm sorry I reply so late. Thanks, Eelco, for fixing the bug, the
number seemed suspicious. Nevertheless, evaluating by package name is
still quite memory-hungry - you had around 350MB, my htop reports
around 12% of 4GB on evaluating "nix-env -qas --description \*" which
I use to cache the names.

In far future we'll need to improve the speed (slow disc) and space of
lookups by package name as this is one of the most common things users
need to do. For example, some kind of caching the evaluation or
preprocessing the expressions could help a lot.

Vlada