[Nix-dev] Ghostscript variant

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu May 26 17:24:26 CEST 2011

Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viriketo at gmail.com> skribas:

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 04:31:34PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hi Lluís!
>>
>> LluXXs Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com> skribas:
>>
>> > Author: viric
>> > Date: Tue May 24 15:35:38 2011
>> > New Revision: 27297
>> >
>> > Log:
>> > Adding mainline ghostscript as an option.
>>
>> How about making a separate Nix expression for GPL Ghostscript?
>
> Yes, I know that would look nice... but I was in a hurry when I wrote it. :)
> I'll improve it a bit later. It needs some cups coupling too.
>
>> Likewise, what about using separate attributes for GPL Ghostscript and
>> GNU Ghostscript?
>
> Fine for me too.

Cool!

>> Besides, I hear ‘getConfig’ is deprecated and old-fashioned.  ;-)
>
> Really? I like getConfig.

Well, ‘callPackage’ automatically does ‘makeOverrideable’, which adds a
‘.override’ function to the derivation, which can be used to do almost
anything.  So I think the current trend is to add:

  ghostscript = pkgs.ghostscript.override { foo = bar; }

in your ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix.

Thanks,
Ludo’.