[Nix-dev] Debugging NixOS login problems

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Fri May 6 14:26:51 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Rickard Nilsson's message of Fri May 06 13:32:21 +0200 2011:
>  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to debug this?

AFAIK PAM is used for logging in. However what you describe doesn't make
sense to me.

I recall you can make PAM print or log messages.

However maybe its faster to try chrooting eg from a live cd and try
passwd or such setting a passowrd and examining the user's shell
setting.

You didn't mention your way of installation.

You can even try start ttyX from chroot after stopping tty from the live
cd.

Why are you using NFS? I never tried booting from NFS. I think it should
not make a difference. Do you mount rw or ro?

Maybe that also makes a difference (guessing)
I know that login writes to the disk keeping the last login timestamp.

Marc Weber