[Nix-dev] Use shallow copying in fetchgit

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 23:03:26 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:54:51PM +0200, Marc Weber wrote:
> Excerpts from Peter Simons's message of Wed Jul 20 22:46:57 +0200 2011:
> > Does anyone see a problem with applying this patch?
>
> Yes.
> At least in the past there was an issue: You could'nt tell git "check
> out rev XY". So you had to get trunk and go some revs back. If you use
> shallow 1 its very unlikely that trunk is exactly the hash which was
> comitted to nixpkgs.

In other words, I understood that '--depth 1' means "one revision since the very
top in the repository, whatever the branch the commit is in". It has no
relationship with the commit ID you are going to pass. It will take as much
commits from the tip, and then try to checkout the ID you said (if that's
possible).