[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r27769 - nixos/trunk/modules/services/logging

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Jul 14 13:28:49 CEST 2011

Hi Nicolas,

thank you for taking the time to review my changes. You suggested:

 > tty option could have the type:  with types; uniq (nullOr string);

I agree that the 'tty' option ought to be unique. In theory, we could
merge several settings in a meaningful way, but our code doesn't
actually do it and, besides, it feels kind of silly to assume that
someone might want to send syslog messages to more than one tty.

I'm not convinced that "uniq (nullOr string)" is the right type for
'tty', though, because strings do have an implicit null value: "".
Allowing 'null' in addition to "" is redundant.

 > defaultConfig option could have type:  with types; uniq string;

What is your rationale for this choice? 'defaultConfig' is a simple
string. the syslog.nix module can accept more than one setting, and it
can merge them in a meaningful way. I mean, I haven't tried whether it
actually works :-), but, as far as I can tell, it should work.

Take care,
Peter