[Nix-dev] Adding perl as a build input to util-linux-ng?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Jul 9 22:50:15 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Lluís Batlle i Rossell's message of Sat Jul 09 22:30:43 +0200 2011:
> What would be the benefit?

Quoting from commit message:
      Message: 4
      Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 23:11:38 +0000
      From: Peter Simons <James Cook at cryp.to>
      Subject: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r27681 - in
      nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs:    os-specific/linux/util-linux-ng top-level
      To: nix-commits at cs.uu.nl

      Author: James Cook
      Date: Fri Jul  8 23:11:38 2011
      New Revision: 27681

      Log:
      util-linux-ng: prepare expression for the addition of perl as a
      buildInput

      The chkdupexe utility requires perl. We cannot change the
      expression, though,
      without triggering a re-build of almost all of stdenv, so for the
      time being
      I'm making Perl an optional build input that is disabled by default.

I agree that Peter should have told about this reason in the mail in
addition to the commit message :)

Marc Weber