[Nix-dev] nix 0.16 using cmake

Joachim Schiele js at lastlog.de
Mon Jan 31 10:51:06 CET 2011

Hi,

out of interest i have replaced autotools by cmake [1] (speaking of nix
0.16). i've found several issues in the autotools build system as well,
which motivated me in the first place.

1. my cmake build isn't perfectly working yet, see README.cmake
2. i was however able to 'nix-env -i vim' for instance but
'nix-collect-garbage' seems to ruin the installation
3. i tested the prefix installation on gentoo only

if you want to experiment with nix's cmake edition, have a look at the
README.cmake's how to install section

in case nix does have a bug tracker, i could also address the
autotools/automake issues there, if you like. in any case have a look at
the cmake build script because it does some things differently and i
think that this might speed up the build as well as adding new stuff for
'new developers' as the cmake stuff is 'straightforward'.

if someone has a few ideas what i did wrong with the NIX_* paths, (see
DEFINES for libmain), please let me know.

i've also created some test scripts, before using them, check:
- you are not root
- all paths are correct
as it can be dangerous to execute rm -Rf ..

regards,
joachim schiele

[1]
https://invalidmagic.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/replacing-automake-by-cmake/