[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r25693 - nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/misc/emulators/wine

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Jan 27 18:29:18 CET 2011

Hi Eelco,

 >> +    platforms = stdenv.lib.platforms.linux;
 >
 > I'm not sure whether this will do anything because of the "wine =
 > callPackage_i686 ..." in all-packages.nix. I.e. on x86_64-linux it will
 > still evaluate to the i686 version.

yes, you are right. I was getting build errors trying to compile Wine on
x86_64-linux, and I wanted to figure out whether Hydra would show them too.
As it turns out, the problem I was having is not related to Wine, but rather
it's the fact that our i686 bootstrap tools don't work with glibc 2.5. Now,
this realization makes me feel a little dizzy, because I seem to recall
arguing against using the latest bleeding-edge versions of everything for
bootstrapping, but I guess I could have just saved my breath. Stability
clearly is a secondary concern around here, which sucks for those of us who
are trying to use Nix in production. Grrr ....

Anyway, Wine does support x86_64 builds, and I intend to replace that
'callPackage_i686' special with an ordinary 'callPackage' soon, so I guess
it doesn't hurt to leave that setting of 'platforms' as it is now.

Take care,
Peter