[Nix-dev] Re: Buildenv hook mechanism

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Wed Jan 26 14:28:37 CET 2011

Hi,

On 01/26/2011 02:21 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> The idea I had [0] was that ‘buildenv’ would check for a
> ‘nix-support/user-environment-hook’ script in each store path being used
> and run it.

Yes, sounds reasonable.  But the big question is what package should declare the
hook.  For instance, for the GTK icon cache problem, should the hook be declared
by gtk+, or by every GTK-based package that has a share/icons directory?  In the
former case, this means that gtk+ has to be in the user environment (or be
propagated by some other package).  Also, we should make sure that a hook (like
gtk-update-icon-cache) is executed only once.