[Nix-dev] Icon cache problems with GTK apps

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Jan 23 00:49:06 CET 2011

Excerpts from Vladimír Čunát's message of Sat Jan 22 21:32:39 +0100 2011:
> quite can take some time (with cold cache).
> What solution would you prefer?

About GHC: traversing the PATH genereting the argument list doesn't take
too long. There have been speed problems many month ago but AFAIK I
reported them to Andres Loeh and we fixed them somehow by rewriting the
bash loop.

I thought many times that bash should allow adding paths to an env var
if it doesn't exist yet..

I personally enjoy running apps from store path without installing them
sometimes. But I'm not sure a nice solution exists allowing it.

I usually use the shell only so I don't care much about menues.
I was able to solve some icon issues by symlinking something into
~/.icons/. I don't really know what I'm doing here. I satisfied strace
output not finding files only..

Does it happen that you know by heart which tools are used to work with
those cache files and which are those files exactly?

Marc Weber