[Nix-dev] Re: rubyLibs rewrite

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Fri Jan 21 16:02:53 CET 2011

Excerpts from Yury G. Kudryashov's message of Fri Jan 21 15:55:49 +0100 2011:
> >> For example, we can let rubygems to automatically add
> >> NIX_PROFILES/gemPath to GEM_PATH.
> > Yes. However it should be done on a "per application basis" by default.
> > I personally will load gems into PATH when needed. This way no
> > collisions will happen.
> What collisions may happen with rubygems? It seems that they have rather
> nice builtin collision resolution.

If you install something into profiles and want to use other patched
libraries when developing. The solution is simple: "Don't intsall the
normal way into your profiles".

Its ok. In the usual case it does what the user expects. So go for it.

I'll personally create envs and load them as needed.

How do you think about overlays?

Marc Weber