[Nix-dev] error with nix-channel curl: (1) Protocol http

Patrick Wheeler patrick.john.wheeler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 19:03:03 CET 2011

I followed the directions found here to install:
http://hydra.nixos.org/build/565033/download/1/manual/#chap-quick-start

I have install nix on my mac laptop. Make and make install did not
complain. nix-channel --add ... did not complain. nix-channel --update
is failing with a error message though.

$nix-channel --updatedownloading Nix expressions from `
http://nixos.org/releases/nixpkgs/channels/nixpkgs-unstable/nixexprs.tar.bz2'...

curl: (1) Protocol http not supported or disabled in libcurl cannot
fetch ` http://nixos.org/releases/nixpkgs/channels/nixpkgs-unstable/nixexprs.tar.bz2'
at /usr/local/bin/nix-channel line 114.

I can fetch the file fine with curl from the command line. I would
guess the error is happening on line 66 of ix-prefetch-url. I do not
know perl so I can not debug off the top of my head.

Any help would be appreciated.

That bug report, a copy of the above, can be found at
http://yellowgrass.org/issue/Nix/214