[Nix-dev] PATCH: add ESS

Cillian de Róiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 16:10:41 CET 2011

Hi Ambrus,

Thanks for the patch, it sounds interesting!

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Ambrus Kaposi <kaposi.ambrus at gmail.com> wrote:
> (setq load-path (cons
> "/var/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp" load-path))
> (load "/var/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess-5.12/lisp/ess-site")
> ; (requie 'ess-site) ;doesn't work
>
> Any comment on the expression, integration into emacs etc. would be appreciated.

I use something like:

(defconst nixos-packages
  '("/nix/var/nix/profiles/default/share/emacs/site-lisp"))
(mapcar '(lambda(p)
           (add-to-list 'load-path p)
           (cd p)
           (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path)
           )
        nixos-packages)

To add subdirectories from that folder to the load-path and then to
load the library itself:

(load-library "magit")

This allows me to install additional emacs-modes via `nix-env -i` and
load them by name. I hope that's of some interest to you, I copied it
some time ago from a public dot-emacs, but my emacs-fu is weak so
there is probably a more elegant way.

Cheers,
Cillian