[Nix-dev] SVN commit: nix - r25375 - in

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Jan 9 00:14:38 CET 2011

> Please take a look at pkgs/build-support/upstream-updater/ - it has a big
> drawback of requiring 3 files per expression, but it is a working solution
> for updating both tarball versions and fetchscm revisions to the latest
> available. It does some things quite badly (it requires specifying data in
> a way that is tied to specific implementation), but you can see whether it
> does some things right.

I wrote nix-repository-manager which creates source snapshots by
checking repos out into a directory then creating snapshots.
The fetch* always took to long to update and generate hashes etc.

You can find an example in the
pkgs/development/compilers/haxe/default.nix file.
Although it works perfectly for me (I'm updating urweb, haxe, and some
more packages) this way nobody else seem to be interested in it ..

An update has two phases:
  1) update snapshot
  2) make snapshot public (upload it to a server)

This way you can "publish" the snapshots after some sanity testing.

Depending on what you want it may or may not be an option - or a source
of inspiration.

I mentioned it for completness reasons ..

Marc Weber