[Nix-dev] bootstrap tools for i686 can't build 2.6.28 kernel headers

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Jan 6 12:21:09 CET 2011

Hi,

it appears that the bootstrap tools for i686 come with version
3.82 of GNU Make. That version won't compile Linux 2.6.28,
because the kernel makefiles mix implicit and normal rules. As a
result, I can no longer bootstrap, because I need those old
kernel headers to build glibc 2.5. Curiously enough, this problem
doesn't seem to occur on x86_64.

I've hacked around this by manually replacing the make binary in
the bootstrap tools store path with an older version, but that's
probably not a particularly good solution.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to deal with this situation?

Take care,
Peter