[Nix-dev] backup / restore

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Wed Jan 5 12:51:11 CET 2011

Because a server is down at the moment I cannot test further on the
buildout front, but it looks promising. Meanwhile:

What is necessary in order have a system backup?

/etc/nixos/configuration.nix
/etc/nixos/nixos
  (if there are local changes)
/etc/nixos/nixpkgs
  (if there are local changes)
/etc/nixos/etc
  (further configuration, e.g. wpa_supplicant to be linked to /etc,
  passwd for postfix)
/etc/passwd
/etc/shadow
/etc/group
/home
/var

Am I missing something?

From the above I would expect the most current system profile to be
backed up, as configured in configuration.nix. Are copies of the
configuration at the time of each nixos-rebuild run kept somewhere?
By that it would be possible to recreate also older generations of the
system profile.

Is there another way to achieve it?

How do I backup the default and user profiles, current and older
generations? Is there a file in each profile, that one can feed to
nix-env to create an environment according to it?

florian

PS: I intend to document the results of these emails online, apart from
just being in the mail archive.
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC