[Nix-dev] transition to pure system

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Wed Jan 5 10:05:17 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 04:39:23PM -0700, Kevin Quick wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 14:10:15 -0700, <7c6f434c at mail.ru> wrote:
>
> >export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/var/run/current-system/sw/lib"
> >export NIX_LDFLAGS="$NIX_LDFLAGS -L /var/run/current-system/sw/lib"
> >export NIX_CFLAGS_COMPILE="$NIX_CFLAGS_COMPILE -I /var/run/current-system/sw/include"
> >export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/var/run/current-system/sw/lib/pkgconfig"
>
> Can someone explain the specific difference between
> /var/run/current-system/sw/X and $HOME/.nix-profile/X paths?

The former is the active system profile, the latter your user's active
user profile. A profile is fully self-contained and does not depend on
other profiles.

> I had assumed the former was only the tools involved in the
> XXX-system.drv (from /etc/nix/configuration.nix) and that the latter
> was the superset of that and anything I'd added to my user's profile
> via nix-env -i but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Not the superset, but only what you have added to your user's profile.
Your user's profile bin directory is listed before the system profile's
bin directory in your PATH, check: echo $PATH.

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC