[Nix-dev] transition to pure system

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Tue Jan 4 21:54:26 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 06:20:50PM +0100, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> Hello.
> > Is somewhere documented what needs to be done in order to have one
> > profile serve as /usr, apart from just linking it.
> I don't think there is anything else you need to do. Just create a
> profile for this purpose and symlink it from /usr. The pure packages
> shouldn't be affected by this.

Good to hear that it won't affect pure packages.

But, sadly, it is not enough: In nixos there are no environment
varibales set for compilation that would point to the "correct" non-pure
locations.

For me, just running ldconfig already raises an error:
$ which ldconfig
/var/run/current-system/sw/sbin/ldconfig

$ ldconfig
ldconfig: Can't open configuration file /nix/store/vxycd107wjbhcj720hzkw2px7s7kr724-glibc-2.12.2/etc/ld.so.conf: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Can't create temporary cache file /nix/store/vxycd107wjbhcj720hzkw2px7s7kr724-glibc-2.12.2/etc/ld.so.cache~: Permission denied

I am not deep enough into LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LDFLAGS, CFLAGS to know what
to set. Will now read up what needs to be done.

Still greatful for any hints.

My intention is not to live with a dirty system, but simply to be able
to stay on nixos while getting my work done right now. And therefore be
able to contribute to nixos and sooner or later reach the state of a
pure system again.

florian

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC