[Nix-dev] How are perl modules handled?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Feb 28 21:52:24 CET 2011

Excerpts from Tobias Hunger's message of Mon Feb 28 20:33:13 +0000 2011:
> fhh602 does not contain a nix-support directory at all! It should also be a
> perl-module, why is no such directory there?

My guess:
because it does not have buildInputs or propagatedBuildInputs.
Thus no $out/.. is written

> I do not understand how that defines a link back to the perl version used to
> build XML-SAX.
No perl package references the perl interpreter which was used to
"build" ?! a store path. I'm not even sure you should call it build here
because in most cases it will be a "copy .pl files to $out" only and
some testing.

The missing piece is /etc/bashrc or such which defines PERL5LIB for your
user profile (and the system profile)

Marc Weber