[Nix-dev] Auto package updating script v2

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmx.de
Sat Feb 12 01:58:50 CET 2011

Hello again!

Attached you will find an updated version of my auto-updater script.

So far it does only work when run from the directory the script is located in.
That should actually be easy to fix, but I need to look into it a bit deeper.

This iteration is heavily inspired by gnupdate. It does evaluate the complete
release. It works on all derivations that contain all the following
attributes:

* package with the package name.
* version with the package version.
* src with a fetchurl derivation containing a hash
* watchfile with a path to a debian/watch file. The path can be relative to
the nix file containing the watchfile statement or absolute.

It will use the watch file to check the server for updated packages, downloads
the new version and generates the hash (using the hash algorithm that was used
in the current version). Finally it replaces the version info as well as the
hash in the nix expression.

Best Regards,
Tobias