[Nix-dev] grub install problem

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Thu Feb 10 11:11:30 CET 2011

Hi,

On 02/08/2011 06:32 PM, Roelof Wobben wrote:

> On my Virtual box grub fails to install.
>
> When I do nixos-rebuild switch --install-grub --fallback I see a these two messages.
>
> A broke pipe when reading manifest from unstable
> and a unexpected end of line.

If you get messages like this:

  cannot start worker (writing to file: Broken pipe)

or

  error: unable to fork: Cannot allocate memory

then you could try the following workaround:

  echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory

The underlying problem is that Nix allocates a large amount of virtual memory
address space, which can trigger the overcommit limits at unpredictable moments
(such as when forking).