[Nix-dev] modular-python

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Tue Feb 8 11:53:51 CET 2011

Hi,

On 02/07/2011 07:11 PM, Peter Simons wrote:

> The disadvantages seem to be:
>
>  - The expression relies on internals from the Python build system. This
>    means that changes to Python's build system might break the
>    expression in a non-trivial way. Whether that is likely to happen or
>    not is a matter of speculation, though.

Yes, this is the obvious downside.  Ideally we would never do this, but in this
case the advantages outweigh the downside.

>  - It's not clear how that expression might run regression tests for the
>    modules its building.

Do they have regression tests? :-)  I didn't notice.

> Furthermore, our current pythonFull expression is appealing to some
> degree, because it produces a 'python' interpreter that knows a fairly
> complete set of standard modules.

It shouldn't be hard to make a pythonFull "pseudo-package" that has python and
all modules as propagated build inputs / user environment packages.  Then
they'll show up in the user environment if you do "nix-env -iA pythonFull".