[Nix-dev] Re: new possible movement to git (?)

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Aug 30 17:30:08 CEST 2011

Hi Shea,

 > [We] have updated Make and gcc and glibc and all of that in nixpkgs,
 > and we want to test it all together and give hydra something to build
 > before we actually update stdenv to use the new tools, why not use a
 > branch specifically made for this purpose?

sure, I guess that's exactly what we are going to do.

Now, suppose we have updates of make, glibc, and gcc. The updates to
glibc and gcc work just fine, but the update to make breaks half of all
our builds. Do you think we should defer the updates to glibc and gcc
until all failures caused by the new make have been fixed? Or do you
think we might want to update glibc and gcc in 'master', and continue to
work on the make issue independently?

Take care,
Peter